View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Ozzy I already gave you a rule - The use of Replay.

I realize we were NOT there but from YOUR experience when the defense WANTS to appeal it's obvious. The coach is either screaming or one of the players is screaming.

Re-Read the thread. I am strictly going by what Peter posted. The Defense had NO intention of appealing. if they did they would have appealed IMMEDIATELY. Heck F1 was ready to pitch to the next batter.

Now you have a PA announcer that for all practical Purposes said: According to replay we have indistbutable evidence that the runner missed first base.

The runner is deemed to have touched the base unless PROPERLY appealed.

How can you grant the appeal when the defense had no intentions of appealing until they heard the PA announcer.

Also, do not equate what the PA announcer said to some Parent in the stands. Many times parents are screaming in the stands and the coach simply ignores them anyway.

Pete Booth
I hear you, Pete! And I understand you would use the "replay" to not allow the appeal. I also am glad that we heard from Rich Ives in that he felt that he would in fact state that he was going to appeal anyway.

So here is where we stand:
  • You would deny the appeal and the game would go to protest by the defense.
  • I would allow the appeal and allow the game to go to protest by the offense.
So how about we do this? You still have contacts up in MLB. Fire off the OP with our two rulings and protests. I really would like to see what the "Big Guys" would do with this. I'll try to do the same at the clinic I am assisting in this weekend if the weather holds. Let's see what we come up with.