View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 12:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceholleran
I will never understand the need for some of this group to be overly pointed when they disagree with a poster.

First off, this coach overtly and intentionally interfered. This was not a base coach with a ball in his vicinity, but a guy in a fence-protected dugout. I don't recall how far the HC had to move to accomplish this act, but he had to reach a good arm's length off the side of the fence to do so. The ball would have absolutely stayed live but for the INT.

That's what made me mad.

But I DID listen to my pard, I DID control my emotions, and no EJ happened. I was trying to express that I was fortunate to listen to Pard and no let my emotions take over.

I told the story mainly to communicate a boneheaded move by a coach, and I get a lecture on how to act.

This my 31st season. I do only 20 or so games a year now. I have done LL through summer league with college, alumni and many ex-pro players. No NCAA games, okay?

I have suspended one game due to an entire LL team (plus coaches) who ran amok. This was in my second or thrid season, and I probably handled it poorly.

I have ejected one and half players in this time. The half was a thrown bat and helmet after a K, where the HC and I simultaneously dumped the player. The HC delivered the tongue-lashing. Sorta like a shared sack in football, no?

I have ej-ed exactly three coaches in this time period, so I don't think one could say I have a quick trigger.

I also must say that I respect everyone on this board and appreciate many of the posts. IMHO, however, we get enough slings and arrows from coaches, players, fans and funnel-cake makers.

Why do we jump all over each other (on occasion) with fervor?

Ace in CT
Ace,

First of all, you asked us for our opinions. You know that when you ask umpires for their opinions, they don't hold back or pull any punches. I have reread all the posts, and haven't found anyone "jumping all over you." Most of us just find it amazing that a stupid coach could evoke such a reaction in what we've come to know as a pretty level-headed "good guy" such as yourself.

Secondly, if you have only ran 3 coaches and "one and a half" players over a 31 year period, I must say that is a very low tally indeed. Perhaps there were a multitude of occassions in which an ejection was warranted where you didn't pull the trigger. And just maybe that has culminated in a build-up of frustration in you over the years to where you would react in this manner to actually run in from your position all pissed off looking to eject this coach. The fact that the coach "made you mad" by his bonehead actions leads me to believe there is more to it than you reported, and I suspect others feel the same way.

Just sayin'.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25