View Single Post
Old Tue Apr 29, 2008, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
Nice Try Rich.

Unless the PA announcer is considered an "attendant or other bench personnel" (I think that is a stretch), 3-3-1-f would not apply. He is not a game official either (the umpires are), so 10-1-5 has not been violated. As for the "illegally discovered appeal," I think that is inventing new rules rather than making a decision on a point not covered by the rules (10-2-3-g).

I would allow the appeal. I would also allow a protest by the visiting team and let the suits decide the penalty (if any).

I do like your style Rich. If there is a way to dump the PA announcer, I'm all for it.
10-1-1 includes the words "team attendant". Use the meaning liberally. It has language similar to OBR 9.01(b) [below]

9.01 (b) Each umpire is the representative of the league and of professional baseball, and is authorized and required to enforce all of these rules. Each umpire has authority to order a player, coach, manager or club officer or employee to do or refrain from doing anything which affects the administering of these rules, and to enforce the prescribed penalties.

Also see PBUC 1.26 - The PA anouncer at pro games is part of the home team.