View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 09:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjo
Its official - I have retired from adult league rec ball. Last nights were the final games to which I was obligated to and they were typical. In the last games of the season, players just seem to want to try to do all the things thay have held back on all year. My partner and I called 5 Ts in the first game and by the second game we were just mellow. Its amazing how calling those Ts sometimes just takes away all the pain. Most of them came from players who just didn't know when to zip their pie hole. I had one who wanted to argue that after a punch signal for an offensive foul, I had really signaled to count the basket. Even some of the wives in the stands were yelling for them to grow up and just play.

It was a good run all these years as I learned a lot about player and game management, but I've lost my patience in general with certain players and the type of ball they play. They will always remain the same, so it is time for me to move on.

Bring on the kids games!

I'm looking forward to a rec league championship game this week and all the guys are pretty decent. A mix of former D1 guys, a former globetrotter, doctors, investment bankers, city playground players, ages middle twenties to middle forties. Sure I've dished out a few T's but it's nice when the game is over and you get a "thanks ref" and handshakes from most of the guys. That makes it worth it. I'm going to miss it over the summer.