View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 24, 2008, 06:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I see that you quoted the FPSR. Is that from the NCAA book?
Yes. Let me try again, here is the first paragraph of the rule from the NCAA rule book 8-4

Force-Play-Slide Rule
SECTION 4. The intent of the force-play-slide rule is to ensure the safety of all players. This is a safety as well as an interference rule. Whether the defense could have completed the double play has no bearing on the applicability of this rule. This rule pertains to a force-play situation at any base, regardless of the number of outs.

As to the point that you must have a play to call interference as argued by at least two posters, it's hard to make it clearer than that, that is wrong.

Further,

8-4-a. On any force play, the runner must slide on the ground before the base and in a direct line between the two bases. It is permissible for the slider’s momentum to carry him through the base in the baseline extended (see diagram).
Exception—A runner need not slide directly into a base as long as the runner slides or runs in a direction away from the fielder to avoid making contact or altering the play of the fielder. Interference shall not be called.

It really is that simple in the NCAA book if you don't slide you must avoid contact with the fielder. If a runner does not slide and makes contact with the fielder, he has committed interference.

Again, I will state my caveat you cannot pass on interference because there was no play, as in the original post. That is that cannot be your reason for passing in this case, period.