View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
"Baseball is taken very serious in these parts and Little League rules would be scoffed at mostly due to the highly restrictive baserunning rules."

Now lets say this in english.

Baseball is way over done by the parents in this area who think their young professional ball players are too grown up at the old age of 11 to play the childish games that Little League supports. How dare anyone ask my son to not start working towards his athletic college schloraship before he reaches puberty. And puberty will only be allowed if it happens, AFTER a ball game.

Don't get so defensive. I'm just expressing the local sentiment. I'm not so sure the Memphis area has a corner on the market with regards to your above assertion. There are many people who believe that Little League baserunning restrictions are too restrictive and that 12-yr-old baserrunner are old enough to take leadoffs ... that 12-yr-old pitchers are good enough to hold the runners ... and that 12-yr-old catchers should be able to throw runners out even if they *do* take a leadoff.

I'm not so sure it's so much about "athletic college scholarships" as much as it is a desire for the kids who are serious about baseball to play SERIOUS baseball instead of some kind of watered down version.

Little League is really recreational ball. I completely understand why they have the rules they do. But at higher levels, those restrictions are unnecessary. Besides, it's more fun for the kids! Ask *any* Little League ball player if he would prefer to take a leadoff, and I can guarantee you the answer would be a resounding, "Yes!"