View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I do appreciate all of the responses. When the case play came out in the Fall of 2001, I questioned some fellow officials and did not get a good explanation. After a while, my question basically faded away as the season did. Then it popped up again in Referee magazine and I just wanted an explanation. That is why I searched for a web site to pose the situation to referees who would have the answer.

Even though I do understand the reasoning on both sides and I certainly realize that we must rule on it the way the federation dictates, I just wanted some expert opinions.

This has been a great way to get feed-back and I appreciate each reply.

From my own standpoint, I think the ruling of administering the penalty from the 20 yard-line basically assumes that there had been a touchback. At no time in this particular play is there ever a mention that the ball became dead in the endzone and the play resulted in the touchback. I understand the concept that the ball was forced into the endzone by Team A and if nothing else had happend more than likely there would have been a touchback. But, going back to the basic rules of administering the penalty, the spot of the foul occured in the endzone. I also see the advantage that Team A receives in ruling this way and of course we are always taught to administer according to what hurts the team that was penalized the worst. Yet as indicated by the many responses, there is no definite ruling in the rule book, but there happens to be a case book situation that explains the correct way to handle the situation. But of course this is my opinion.

Thanks again for every response and I will continue to visit this web site more often and look for the discussion. I DO APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK AND YOUR HELP.