View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

batter interference?? nothing??

0-2 count on the batter, 0 outs, no runners on. BR swings at a pitch in the dirt for strike 3. the ball bounces off of the ground and into the catchers shin guard and then bounces up the first base line- approx 2-3 feet up the line. simultaneously, the batter drops his bat and begins to run towards first. as the ball is slowing down, the bat - which the batter has just dropped while running towards first - unintentionally strikes the ball and knocks it away approx 15 ft. the runner reaches first safely.

is this nothing?? interference on the batter? would it make a difference if the ball had stopped and was then struck with the dropped bat??

in my scenerio both the bat and the ball are still moving, but the ball was on the ground first before the bat was dropped.

i'm pretty sure it is nothing if the bat is dropped first and the bat is not moving and the ball rolls into the bat.

obviously, the above scenerios are for a pitched ball.

are there any differences in the ruling if it was a batted ball?? i'm sure if it was a ball on foul territory that was struck by the bat then we would have foul ball - does it matter if the ball had a chance to become fair?

in all sits there is no intent on the part of the batter to strike the ball on the ground.

this occurred in ncaa game. any differences in codes?? please provide any and all rule citations.

thanks.

Last edited by ggk; Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 07:55am.