Thread: Doubling up
View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 23, 2008, 01:41am
Official Forum Member

Doubling up

For some unknown reason I was looking through my old schedule books. In looking through these books it reminded me of the way I used to schedule games. In my younger days I used to subscribe to the more is better theory when it came to scheduling games. I wasn’t happy unless I worked two games on a Saturday. If it meant racing from one site to another, so be it. If possible I was going to work two games. As I have matured (gotten older) I look back in amusement at some of the scheduling decisions I have made.

I will share one of my more memorable (boneheaded) experiences and then hopefully everyone will chime in with theirs.

I got the opportunity to work a 7:00 game at a school I had never worked before. I already had a 3:00 game but really wanted to work at the new school. This was before Map Quest so I got the road map out to see if it was doable. Well in my zest to work at the new school I made some overly aggressive assumptions and committed to work the game.

Well you can guess what happened. My 3:00 game started late due to the preceding women’s game being a hack fest. So I got a late start on my trip to the 7:00 game and then reality hit. In my planning I had anticipated an hour and fifteen minute drive to game two. Well it turns out that it was closer to an hour and forty five minutes. As I walk into the gym I can hear the National Anthem being played, never a good thing. It ended up okay, game was a blow out, partners were cool about it, but the lesson was learned. It was the last multi venue double header I worked.

So let’s hear them, I am sure that I can’t be the only one that has done this.