View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 11, 2002, 04:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
All of the varsity games are assigned by one by one guy and all of the non-varsity games are assigned by another guy. They work together(very loosely--only when varsity and JV guys are going way outside the metro area). Conceivably, they could assign mentors and mentees together in the same gym on the same nights. It would require more work on their part--they may or may not agree to do it.

But, back to your original thought--what kinds of goals would you try to implement or set for the program??
I will try to answer that. All I think you can do as an association, is to simply assign newer guys with older veterans. Then have the older officials help them in any way they can. I do not think it is necessary to have younger officials always be watched by older officials. Unless you have older officials able to give up games to watch these guys or gals. Other than that, have older officials volunteer to be there for an assigned younger official. Because you really learn more within conversations with older officials than just watching official work. Because there are many things you can teach when you listen to veterans give stories and situations that younger officials may never think about.

All you need is for younger officials to not be on their own. That way they will stick around, instead of thinking the world is against them and quit when they do not see the light at the end of the tunnel. That should be your main goal, the rest is just a matter of doing the things to make that happen.

Peace