View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 17, 2008, 04:11pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Then why stop there? How about making any basket in the last two minutes by the team that is trailing worth the number of points by which they are trailing? That would be really exciting.

OK - I'm just trying to make the point that the "purity" of the amateur game (or what's left of it) shouldn't be sacrificed just to make the game "more exciting". A team has the entire game to score more points than the other team. They shouldn't get any "artificial" help at the end.

To me, having rules like this is similar to officials calling games different at the end.
The amateur game you speak of is that of US-based, but not the rest of the world. FIBA started in '36 for the best amateur basketball in the world: the Olympics.

What happens when a team is trailing by 1 or 2 and hits a 3?

And doesn't the NCAA stop the clock? But I do see the argument that the NCAA has migrated from pure amateur ball.

I like so many things about FIBA: on the 5th foul in a quarter, we go to a 2-shot bonus. The result: the bonus is reached less often.

Fouls are the same during a live or dead ball. That means if you hit someone that is not intentional, you can still be penalized for it. The translation is that the athletes need to be more aware of their actions at all times.