View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Indeed, Lom.

mbyron, I probably should have elaborated a bit to explain that I am not against getting help after making a call in all situations; i.e., I do believe there may be times it's necessary. I was referring here specifically to the situation where BU is in the middle of the field and somehow screened and needs to ask his PU for assistance.

I also am not mandating that everyone should follow my lead. I'm not arrogant enough to recommend this. It's just a suggestion, and one that I believe has made my job much easier. I politely and respectfully ask the NCAA, though: If we as umpires can "get the call right" as is recommended to us, what better way to do it than to have some quick and definitive assistance BEFORE such a call rather than to have the post-call meeting and reversal? If we can "get the call right" AND look good, isn't this more preferable than just getting it right and looking like crap while doing so?

Again, I am not against consulting a partner(s) for help after a call or play occurs. I just think it happens more often than it should, and that if we do things a bit differently in some situations, we'd be able to avoid this.