View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 14, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to MNBlue
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Because the PU is covering home
I understand that this is what the 'book' tells us to do. My point is this: Since the plate umpire is up the line 20' to 25' to rule on the catch, why is it not OK to let the plate umpire stay there, in the event something extraordinarily odd (since R1 tagging instead of going part way to second is a rarity in itself) happens and R1 advances to third? If R7 did not catch the ball, and R1 advances to third, the PU would have R1. In that situation also, if R1 attempts to advance past third, the PU would still have to beat it to get to the plate to make that call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Which is the RUNNER, not the ball. A lazy umpire has to give up something. Someone who hustles inside can easily get deep enough to see a catch and runner movement with peripheral vision, it isn't that difficult. Another option is to come inside closer to the runner, but you are really going to have to bust down to 2B for a possible play.
I'm far from lazy and I don't give up anything. I back up a step or two, so I have both F7 and R1 in my peripheral vision. When F7 touches the ball, R1 is released and I hustle to get in position to make a call at second, getting a 90 degree angle from the runner's base path going into second. If the ball gets away, my partner has R1 going into third, and I follow around on the outside of the base line in order to box in the runner. If R1 advances past third, PU takes her home, and I move down toward third, once again boxing in the runner.

It's obviously more work for the PU, but this way, we have the runner boxed in the entire way. And of course we pre-game this mechanic. If I have a partner that isn't open to working thisn way, I would have to come in and do the best I can to know when F7 touches the ball.

NFHS, NCAA, NAFA
"If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" Anton Chigurh - "No Country for Old Men"