Thread: Good Bye
View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 11, 2008, 06:55pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Mick,

The number of posts if reported would overwhelm you. It would be best to remove a small number of accounts (The three problem accounts - could be the same person).

Once they have been removed it should be very easy to track posts on the new accounts they set up & just kill them.

Should something not be done I suspect a great number of posters will leave. It's just not worth dealing with garbage like this.

Having run some large BB's myself I clearly understand the work load. It's unfortunate that a very small number of individuals are able to ruin what is otherwise a great place.
socalblue1,
The number of reported posts may be tough to handle, but I don't know that for a fact. I know that I respond to them.
As far as the same person using muliple usernames, yes, more then you imagine. If you see a real active instigator, and then suddenly he has a comrad, it often is the result of a user who is "talking to himself" and backing up his alter ego". Likewise bonafide contributors will use multiple usernames, for whatever reason, to make a specific point.

Tracking a problem is not as difficult as defining a problem. That is where the help is needed. The users of any particular forum have the ability to report posts and posters that, seemingly, are intent on making forum useage uncomfortable. The users of a forum, rather than joining in on a counter-attack, can report/ignore/avoid any given poster. Private messaging is available to give a moderator more information or to lodge a complaint.

Since at any given time, only a few users are responsible for the worst problems, they can be easily sent to the dugout or to their car.

Many users believe the moderators should be more proactive and police each thread. I do not. I am not a marshall, nor do I want to be. I want to be considered more of an orderly and for our good users to be the doctors.
If someone pukes, tell me and I'll clean it up. If someone makes the sheets brown, tell me and I'll clean it up. If some sick psycho goes weird, tell me and I'll move him to another room.

I do not read every thread, nor do I want to read every thread, but I will, from time to time, be reading a thread and make a post or thread, that I adjudge to be objectionable or potentialy inflammatory, go away. But I will not deal with each post that marginally bothers me, because I think that a free exchange is important to learning and that I ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Our users are young and old, Little League and Big League, newbees and experienced, old school and cutting-edge. Our personalities require us to be reasonable, blunt, controlling and decisive, with a touch of compassion, patience and understanding. We are quick to react to any action. With few exceptions we enjoy what we do in spite of, or because of, the challenges in front of us.
We use these tools on the field because we are always carrying them in our pouch. And they are good tools when used in a professional manner.

So what can we do in this fight for peace ?
Use the tools.
  • Be more patient with newbees.
  • Report idiots.
  • Ignore idiots.
  • Be tolerant and patient with idiots.
  • Eliminate name calling.
  • Understand differences.
  • Count to 10.
  • Do not feed trolls.
  • Respect your sport.