View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 10, 2008, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
During the Final Four, Candace Parker of Tennessee wore a white, LONG sleeve undershirt under her white team jersey due to a shoulder injury. We noticed it and made a couple of comments in the chatroom, but nothing substantive.

I did some checking into this and found that her undershirt should have been ruled illegal and that she should not have been allowed to participate while wearing it, but it seems that an exception can be made for a star player at the Final Four. Either the officials didn't know the rule or chose not to enforce it. Which makes one ask why even bother having such a rule in the book and why should the committee waste its time and effort wording such a change/clarification in the previous season?

There was a rule change for the 2006-07 season that prohibited this attire. Here is the text of the rule from that season as well as the current text from the 2007-08 NCAA rules book.

2006-07

Old Rule 3-5.13 and .14, 3-4.14, new page 72. Shirt sleeves may not extend below the elbow. Compression pants may not extend below the game pants.

Rule 3, Section 5
Art. 13.
An undershirt is considered to be part of the game jersey and must
be a color similar to that of the game jersey. In addition, the sleeves and
neckline of undershirts shall be unaltered. (e.g., no cut-off sleeves or cut
necklines) Both sleeves shall be of the same length and not extend beyond the elbows. No logos, decorations, trim, commemorative patches, lettering or numbering may be used on an undershirt. An illegal undershirt shall not be worn.
A.R. 63. May a player remain in the game after being assessed an indirect technical foul for wearing an illegal undershirt or undergarment? RULING: Similar to the rule regarding jewelry, illegal undershirts or undergarments shall not be worn. The player shall leave the game and remove the illegal apparel; however, no technical foul shall be assessed.

2007-08

Rule 3, Section 5
Art. 11.
An undershirt is considered to be part of the game jersey and must be a color similar to that of the game jersey. In addition, the sleeves and neckline of undershirts shall be unaltered. (e.g., no cut-off sleeves or cut necklines) Both sleeves shall be of the same length and not extend beyond the elbows. No logos, decorations, trim, commemorative patches, lettering or numbering may be used on an undershirt. An illegal undershirt shall not be worn.

I thought the same thing. It did look odd. For gamesmanship, if I was Stanford, I'd have a player wear the same.

Clarence