View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Let's change the facts from what happened in the video that you posted in the first post in this thread. Let's say the ball REALLY got away from F2 and that AFTER being obstructed by F3, the B/R attempted to go to third base (instead of going back to first base as he did in the video). Then, let's say that the B/R missed second base on the way to third base.

In this case, the B/R would be liable to being called out on appeal. The obstruction occurred 60 to 45 feet away from second base (between first and second). Under my scenario, the obstruction had nothing to do with the B/R missing second base.
I'm with you all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawump
Now, back to the original facts: By analogy (since you've raised this as a possibility) the obstruction did not cause the base coach to physically assist the runner. Thus, B/R has to be out, ball remains live.

I know it feels, to some, "wrong" to call a runner out on this play when the defense obstructed. But this feeling is wrong. BOTH teams committed a violation. Are we going to reward the offense just because the defense committed their violation first?
The problem is, you can't enforce both penalties. If you enforce the INT, the OBS is effectively ignored. Isn't that rewarding the defense?

How about this angle - the shove by the coach was not assistance since the runner did not benefit from it and the defense was not disadvantaged by it. Contact by a coach does not, by itself, constitute assistance. It is not INT if a coach "high-fives" the B/R on a home run trot, but it sure is if he pulls him back to touch a missed base (unless the B/R is Mark McGwire). I think you will agree that the alleged INT had absolutely no effect on this play. How was the runner assisted?

Take this a step further, and have the B/R advance to 2nd after being shoved off the base. NOW I can see enforcing the INT, but it still results in ignoring the OBS. It still bothers me a little (because the B/R would be called out for being assisted to a base which he would have been awarded for the OBS), but just a little.