View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 01:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks For Your Patience ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
1) Under the rules concerning BI, there is no differentiation between touching the net or grabbing the net. Both are violations. See rule 4-6-2. Therefore, whether you "touch" the net or you "grab" the net while the ball is on the ring, you are committing a BI violation in both cases. Touching = grabbing iow. They are regarded as the exact same thing under this rule.

2) Under rule 10-3-4, it is a technical foul to "grab" the net. It is not a technical foul to "touch" the net. Touching does NOT equal grabbing iow. They are NOT the exact same thing under this rule.

If you GRAB the net while the ball is on the ring, you simultaneously commit a BI violation under #1 above AND you also get a technical foul under #2 above.

If you only touch the net while the ball is on the ring, you get charged with BI under #1 but do NOT get a technical foul under #2.
No confusion with 1).

No confusion with 2).

No confusion with: If you only touch the net while the ball is on the ring, you get charged with BI under #1 but do NOT get a technical foul under #2.

Problem with: If you GRAB the net while the ball is on the ring, you simultaneously commit a BI violation under #1 above AND you also get a technical foul under #2 above. Specifically with the word simultaneously. I don't believe that these acts, a violation, and a foul, are simultaneous. I believe that the touch, and violation, came first, and the grab, and foul, came immediately, but not simultaneously, after the violation. 9.11.1B states "The moment the hand touched the ring, it was basket interference. When the player grasped the ring, a technical foul occurred." The word "moment" in the first sentence, and the word "when" in the second sentence, seem to imply that these are not simultaneous acts. Note that I said "seem" and "imply", I'm still not 100% sure.

I know that you said "one last try", and I would have no problem with the lack of a followup response from you, you've been patient enough with me, but is there anyway that you can, at least, consider, that the violation, and foul, are not truly simultaneous, but the rules still allow us, as you pointed out several posts ago, to penalize both acts accordingly.

You've already corrected my incorrect interpretation of this situation, we penalize both acts accordingly. Thanks. I would like to be in 100% agreement with you. We're almost there. The word simultaneous is the only thing keeping me from being in 100% agreement with you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 06, 2008 at 01:09pm.