View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 12:42pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Now, I am confused again.

In order to grab something, don't you have to touch it (make contact with it) first? You can touch something without grabbing it, but, you can't grab something without touching it first.

I'm going to take chance at being ridiculed here, but I don't believe that these acts, a violation, and a foul, are simultaneous, as you state above. I believe that the touch, and violation, came first, and the grab, and foul, came immediately, but not simultaneously, after the violation. I also believe that the ball was dead, by the violation, when the foul, the grab, occurred, but it's a technical foul to grab the basket at any time, live ball, or dead ball, except when preventing an injury.
There might be a better word than "confused" but....

I'll give it one last try.

1) Under the rules concerning BI, there is no differentiation between touching the net or grabbing the net. Both are violations. See rule 4-6-2. Therefore, whether you "touch" the net or you "grab" the net while the ball is on the ring, you are committing a BI violation in both cases. Touching = grabbing iow. They are regarded as the exact same thing under this rule.

2) Under rule 10-3-4, it is a technical foul to "grab" the net. It is not a technical foul to "touch" the net. Touching does NOT equal grabbing iow. They are NOT the exact same thing under this rule.

Sooooooo.....to sum up......if you GRAB the net while the ball is on the ring, you simultaneously commit a BI violation under #1 above AND you also get a technical foul under #2 above.

If you only touch the net while the ball is on the ring, you get charged with BI under #1 but do NOT get a technical foul under #2.

I have no idea how to make it any clearer than that.