View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 06, 2008, 10:33am
Esteemed Forum Member

Good Citation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
The defensive player is charged with the technical foul, as you said. However, the defensive player is also charged with BI at the same time, for touching the net while the ball was on the ring. You penalize both. You award the basket for defensive BI and you also charge the defensive player with a "T" for grabbing the net. Read case book play 9.11.1SitB. It's basically the exact same play.
9.11.1 Situation B: While the ball is touching the ring of the basket on a field-goal attempt, B1 grasps the ring when there is no threat of injury.
Ruling: This is a double infraction and both acts are penalized. It is both basket interference and a technical foul. The moment the hand touched the ring, it was basket interference. When the player grasped the ring, a technical foul occurred. Award two points to Team A, followed by two free throws and a division line throw-in. (10-3-4 Exception)

Thanks for the citation. It makes this situation a lot clearer, and doesn't leave me scratching my head. This case play makes it seem like the touch came first, basket interference, ball dead, award points, and the grab came immediately after, grabbing during dead ball, technical foul, two shots, ball at division line, foul added to player, and team total.

Thanks for your effort and research. I knew something about my interpretation seemed odd, because it was wrong.