Thread: Erroneous info
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 02:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref
What if the administrating official on a throw in tells the player he can run the end line when in fact it is a spot throw in. After putting the ball at the throwers disposal, he runs the end line, your partner from 20 ft away calls the violation. What now? I say you call the violation. I also think you count the bucket in the OP.
Along the same line, but a little different - during a timeout, an official tells a coach he has one remaining, but in fact, it is his last one. That coach subsequently requests and is granted a timeout. Is it a technical?

I would first admonish the official for relaying timeout information other than it being a final timeout, but in this case, I think you have to call the T since it is the coach who is primarily responsible for not requesting a timeout when none exists. However, would you make the call this way if a coach had asked the official scorer if he had any left and the scorer mistakenly said yes, when the answer should have been no - and the coach then requests and is granted one?