Thread: Erroneous info
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
The difference is that "all players" particiapte in the throw-in -- so this example is more like part (c) of the case play.

If an official says "2 shots", then s/he is preparing for two shots and it's going to take a second or two to realize why only one person attempted to rebound the basketball. During that time, I think the whistle can be sounded and we can go to the arrow -- even if the ball has passed through the basket.

No, I don't know exactly where the "line" is between correcting the error (and I don't mean to imply 2-10 with that phrase) and letting it go. Certainly, once the subsequent throw-in is complete it's too late. IMO, before the subsequent throw-in has started, it's not too late. During the subsequent throw-in???? (probably too late -- again, especially if all players are actively participating in the play).

And, I'll argue that this is the "spirit and intent" of the rule, and not what others have said in this thread.
I with you bob....I was thinking last night of the same idea but for some reason couldn't come up with words I liked ( and didn't post ).

In my game, I'm considering the ball dead on the miss of the first shot after I annouce 2 shots if only 1 player plays the ball... It doesn't matter if it is my error or the tables.