Thread: Erroneous info
View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 05, 2008, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
If an official hands the ball to the wrong team for a throw-in and the throw-in is completed before anyone realizes that something has been administered incorrectly, what is the proper course of action?
Should the official stop play, erase the throw-in and award the ball to the proper team? No, the NFHS says that it is too late to correct the mistake.
The difference is that "all players" particiapte in the throw-in -- so this example is more like part (c) of the case play.

If an official says "2 shots", then s/he is preparing for two shots and it's going to take a second or two to realize why only one person attempted to rebound the basketball. During that time, I think the whistle can be sounded and we can go to the arrow -- even if the ball has passed through the basket.

No, I don't know exactly where the "line" is between correcting the error (and I don't mean to imply 2-10 with that phrase) and letting it go. Certainly, once the subsequent throw-in is complete it's too late. IMO, before the subsequent throw-in has started, it's not too late. During the subsequent throw-in???? (probably too late -- again, especially if all players are actively participating in the play).

And, I'll argue that this is the "spirit and intent" of the rule, and not what others have said in this thread.