View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanja
IQuestion 2:

Under NFHS rules, can defensive goaltending occur on a free throw try?

My colleague argues no, since the free throw violation would occur first? My understanding says yes, since it would be a deferred free throw violation and the goal tending would be called immediately.

I could not find an NFHS case to address this situation.

I read a story on a recent NCAA game where the coach instructed a player to intentionally goal tend on a free throw in a close game. He apparently was not aware of the penalties. Per NCAA rules this is possible without otherwise violating since the players can enter the lane on the release. If anyone has a link to the story please share it.
Yes, defensive GT can occur on a FT under NFHS rules. The ball remains live even if there is a lane violation. The GT will result in 1 point being awarded (which means there is no lane violation) and will result in a T.

As for the NCAA game....it happened and it happened recently. It was on the 2nd of two FTs when Kentucky's coach Billy Gillispie, being down 1 with little time remaining with no timeouts, instructed his center to GT the FT. His thinking was that they needed the time more than the point would hurt and that the GT would ensure that the clock wouldn't start. The same thing could have been accomplished by repeated lane violations until the FT was made but there was no guarentee they'd even call that...the GT couldn't be ignored.