View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Offensive Goaltending?

I am unable to convince a fellow official that there can be an offensive goaltending violation under NFHS rules. Our extended discussion led to some other offensive goaltending questions and I'd like to hear from some forum participants.

NFHS Rule 4-22 Goaltending:
Goaltending occurs when a player touches the ball during a field-goal try or tap while it is in its downward flight entirely above the basket ring level and has the possibility of entering the basket in flight, or an opponent of the free thrower touches the ball outside the cylinder during a free-throw attempt.

My additional 2 cents:

1. The general rule implicitly includes "outside the cylinder" as a goaltending condition since inside the cylinder is specifically covered by basket interference (rule 4-6).

2. The rule generally uses "player" but specifically uses "opponent" for free throws since a teammate of the free thrower would violate before offensive goaltending could occur. This is described in case 9.12, situation B.

On the second of two free-throw attempts by A1, the ball is touched outside the cylinder by A2. RULING: The ball became dead immediately when A2 moved into the lane prematurely. Therefore, the goaltending is ignored. ...

Question 1:

In addition to the plain language of the rule, any other thoughts on making the case for or against offensive goaltending?

For example, assume the stated goaltending conditions are present. Allowing the offense to touch the ball and denying the defense the privilege would give the offense a huge unfair advantage.

By the way, I could not find an NFHS case related to offensive goaltending.

Question 2:

Under NFHS rules, can defensive goaltending occur on a free throw try?

My colleague argues no, since the free throw violation would occur first? My understanding says yes, since it would be a deferred free throw violation and the goal tending would be called immediately.

I could not find an NFHS case to address this situation.

I read a story on a recent NCAA game where the coach instructed a player to intentionally goal tend on a free throw in a close game. He apparently was not aware of the penalties. Per NCAA rules this is possible without otherwise violating since the players can enter the lane on the release. If anyone has a link to the story please share it.

Question 3:

Has anyone called offensive goaltending or can anyone site a good real game example?