View Single Post
Old Sat Jul 06, 2002, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
D1

Just as a side note, was just at a camp with Ted Valentine as a speaker. He commented that there are about 1450 D1 Officials and during the season about 15% of the 1400 or so do 85% of the games. With this in mind, it tells you that once you have made it to D1 it doesn't guarantee you will work that many games. So just because a D1 supervisor puts on you on staff doesn't mean your'e working all the time or any time.

Now back to the original subject. I agree there is something true in everyone's posts, but lets be serious, there is so much more that goes into selection of someone than just referee skills and this goes for the D2 and D3. Many of these things you also can do nothing about immediately. I believe things like your

1. Looks - Todays D1 Mens officials are proto-typed. If you are 6'2"-6'6" with a good physique and run well you are one step ahead of the game. I'm sorry I know this for fact and saw a perfect example at a D1 camp this year. Now this is not to say the other guy won't get a look but the above gives you the edge over someone of the same referee caliber.

2 Where you live - Depending on what specific conference you are trying out for will always help determine if you will be picked up. If a supervisor can call you at a moments notice and you are in the range of skills of which he requires then you also have the edge over the next guy and sometimes the next guy may be better, but where he lives doesn't provide the supervisor the same oppurtunities.

3. What kind of job do you have - AVAILABILITY! Will always put you in a different category if you have the ability to referee. So officials who are self-employed, are salesman, or company exec's which control their own schedule are some examples of the official who may have the edge.