View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
In (a), the foul by A23 is a player control foul. You cancel the basket(which ISN'T mentioned in the ruling) and administer both fouls as a false double foul. A23 gets 2 FT's with no one on the lane and team B then gets the ball for a throw-in on the end-line after the second FT. If the second FT was good, team B gets to run the endline on their throw-in. See case book play 4.19.9SitA--it's almost similar.

In (b), the contact by A23 came after the basket was made and the ball was dead. Therefore, because A23 was no longer an airbiorne shooter, that contact should have been ignored unless it was deemed intentional or flagrant(which it isn't, from the description). See rule 4-19-1NOTE. Iow, you count the basket by A23 and give A23 one FT for the foul by B55, with the players lined up. No foul on A55.

Referee magazine gave an incomplete answer in case (a) and was wrong in case (b). It's certainly not the first time they've done that and probably not the last.
Not quite true, JR. I had a similar thought when I first read the play, but then gave it some thought. My earlier response gave why the RM ruling in part (b) could well be correct as the play only says that "the ball enters the basket."

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Apr 03, 2008 at 02:21pm.