View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne
However, for a recent play ruling and at a recent clinic, I was told that is wrong; and it is INT if the runner prevents or disrupts the throw, regardless of how close to the base they were.
I think sometimes talking about a play during a clinic or over a beverage after a clinic (which is much more fun) it is easy for people to read things into a situation that they would never have come up with if they simply were seeing the play happen.

For instance, if F4 simply turns toward 1B, sees the just retired runner coming from 1B and just chooses not to make a throw.. I think most of us would judge that to be a no call. Simply existing or failing to disappear when retired between 1B and 2B does not in and of itself constitute INT.

On the other hand, there does not need to be contact to have INT. Suppose the retired runner is doing something more than just not disappearing; something that in your judgment hinders the defense, then you do have INT. This something more could be moving to screen the fielder from being able to throw, yelling, waving arms, etc. etc. In a men's low level SP game I have seen it and called it more than once.