View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Bfair

Most PU's will still be watching the play along the 1B line in order to aid their partner if needed. Most can chew gum and walk at the same time. Far more problems occur along the 1B line than with an uncontested R3 scoring. Pete, most PU's are aware of that and are prepared to aid their partner in a 2-man system. Weren't you? Would you care to post about the numerous appeals you've had at home on this play?

Steve, yes in a 2 person system, the PU has to help out, however, not with R3, especially if R3 is coming home.

When we have r3 the PU's job is as follows:

1. The tag up if there is a fly ball

2. Any action around third base ie, interference by R3 or obstruction by F5

3. Then there's the play at the plate. Is F2 obstructing R3? Did R3 actually touch the plate? Did F2 apply the tag.

It is not a good idea to make calls some 90 ft. away. The reason we go to clinics is to learn proper positioning and timing. When we have r3, the BU should know that he /she is on his / her own.

The PU has enough responsibilities with R3 already, let's see (1) call the pitch, (2) Fair / Foul (3) Any action around the plate area ie; Catcher's / batter's interference and some others, (4) DBT - it's the PU 's call to watch for ball going into DBT, (4) The tag up at third base and finally the call at home. If the BU cannot make this call why have a BU. Steve the BU has to earn his / her paycheck also.

IMO the play in question worked this time, but if as BU you get in a habit of pointing to your partner when your partner is some 90 ft. away, you are asking for trouble.

With nobody on that's different, because the PU is supposed to come out and be in position to aid his partner, however, the PU isn't 90 ft. away either.

Suppose the PU couldn't help on this play in other words he didn't see the tag and now your partner points to you. He /she just hung you out to dry Now get ready for holy he** to break out. This call belongs to the BU - PERIOD and it's the BU's job to get into proper position. If he /she can't then sell the call the best you can.

We just differ on this approach which as they say makes the world go around. In fact, I often tell my partner I'm watching 3 you are on your own so that ahead of time my partner knows I can't help them.

Don't know what schools you attended, but I haven't heard of one that condones this. We had a HS clinic this past year taught by minor league umpires and they stressed the importance of the BU making this call and selling it. Can't expect the PU to help you out with R3. What next the PU will make the call at second base on a steal attempt also? Might as well work solo and get the extra half FEE.

Pete Booth

[Edited by PeteBooth on Jul 5th, 2002 at 08:22 AM]