View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 22, 2000, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

If your guy was really hammered, the foul should probably have been called. But, not having been there, I will say that I often pass on fouls when the team with the ball plays through it and is going to have an easy lane to the hoop. Yes, a player may have been slapped or "blocked," but the team was not put at a disadvantage if a layup is about to take place, yet WOULD be put at a disadvantage if the foul is called. There are lots of examples of that type of officiating. One that often gets a questionning look or comment is when a player goes up for a shot and gets a bit of contact, I hold my whistle to see what happens with the ball, then either pass on the foul if it goes in (not much of a foul if it didn't even affect the shot) or call a slightly delayed foul if the ball missed. If necessary, I will explain that it was not much contact, but it turned out to have affected the shot, so I called it a bit delayed. To me, that's applying advantage/disadvantage and keeping a flow to the game if I can pass on light contact.