View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 09:45pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Now that the NF season is over, we may as well spend some time discussing desired rule changes.

Here's mine:

1. change from 8 minute quarters to 16 minute halves - games are long enough without two "extra" timeouts.

2. allow taunting, but also allow retaliation for it - this would make the games much more entertaining

3. require all players, coaches, trainers, announcers and spectators to pass a rules quiz prior to allowing them entrance into the gym

OK - I only meant the first one seriously, but the other two would be kind of cool.
1) Would you want this for lower levels also? Our CYO JV level (4th through 6th graders) presently has a rule that everyone must play in two quarters and no more than three in a regulation game so teams cant keep their best players in the entire game. I'm not sure how we would make this work with halves, unless we added yet more vague and confusing local rules.

2) That reminds me of the 2 on 2 arcade basketball game where you could punch your opponent to steal the ball or keep them from getting rebounds.

3) I'd also require anyone entering the gym (officials included) if they know NFHS Rule 6-4-5, since I'm convinced I'm the only one in my area who knows this rule.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball