View Single Post
Old Thu Jul 04, 2002, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by crew
its not magic, its hard work and determination and ability.
I'll agree that it takes those things, but you need something more too. Either connections, or luck, or something. Because there are a lot of guys who work hard, have determination and ability (I'm among them, I think) who can't get a sniff of D1. I totally agree with what you wrote, but I think we need to be honest and say that sometimes (usually, in fact) those things aren't enough. You need a break. The right person has to see you in the right place and at the right time. Do you think that's a fair statement?
Chuck
trying to move up the ranks is difficult. for some quicker than others. the first key to going to the next level is self evaluation. (this is straight from joe borgia-director of referee developement for the nba)
1. am i athletic
2. do i have solid clear mechanics

the next key to moving up is in camps, quality camps. when an official looks for a camp look at
1. is this a learning camp(not a meat market where all you do is work 2 games a day without classroom instrucution).
2. who is sponsoring the camp.
3. who is instructing/critiqueing the camp.
4. are there supervisors observing/evaluating officials.

when attending camps run hard every time down the court, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT, and when a critiquer says something you think is wrong, say this, "yes sir, i will do that." and when you are on his court do it. the guys that are hired to critique are there to see how well you listen to instruction. he is not going to go to the supervisor and say "he works the trail to far from the basket you shouldnt hire him." he is however going to say, "i told him to work closer ot he basket at trail and he did it, i only had to tell him once" or "i told him to work closer to the basket and he argued with me." now which is more likely to please a supewrvisor?

what i am getting at in this lengthy post is that everyone has the ability to create their own opportunity. for me i did not wait for the supervisors to come to the one caution light town of Grand Ridge Fl. to find me. i put myself into their line of vision and hoped that i had learned the qualities they were seeking.