View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

"it sounds like a case of good coaching."

"For me, part of the game. Same with the slow swings, these types of things that go on during steals.

I believe an umpire could stretch the intent and spirit of the rules and call interference."

PLEASE tell me your kidding? Then again......Chicago

Lets review the definition of interference, "Interference is the ACT of an offensive player or team member the IMPEDES, HINDERS, or CONFUSES a defensive player ATTEMPTING to execute a play"

Lets also rule out that comment "but.....there has to be contact" before you respond with that myth

You could also go so far as to consider "Sporting Behavior"....as it is written "Coaching tactics that endanger the safety of others" or opening line..."the VALUES of softball competition are based on good sporting BEHAVIOR and FAIR play.

Before you start thinking that this Bandit guy must look for reason to judge rules and as replied "stretch the intent and spirit of the rules and call interference". Please be aware that in over 10 years of umpiring I have tossed 2 coaches. I look for every reason to keep the game fair and coaches in the game. But also if I may. A coach who "admits" to teaching his 12 year lod players this tactic is walking a thin line when it come to "fair play".

In these particular games a small comment to one of the coaches that if I continued to see what I thought was a clear attempt to block the play of a catcher and her attempt to complete a play "might" result in an interference call on the batter (mabe you've heard of this....preventive umpiring).....was taken in very courtous and professional manner by the coach and amazingly the players from that point forward changed their complete bunting style and yet though still completed the attempt to "fake" a bunt attempt.

Again....Please tell me your kidding and you just wanted to see if you'd get a rise of of someone