Thread: Local rule...
View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 30, 2008, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I'm familiar with a local league where the guy in charge backs the players more than the umpires. I tossed a guy for USC, and he initially refuses to leave. He's cussing up a storm, saying every insult towards me he could think of. The field supervisor (coincidentally, another well-respected umpire in our crew) tells him, "buddy, you've gotta leave right now, or your game's a forfeit and we're calling the cops." Eventually, the moron leaves.

Another night, one of our umpires is having a conversation with someone at a low volume about an incident that happened on another night. The umpire said, "awwwe, gee... I'd've thrown his a$$ out." You had to be within 10 feet to hear it, and only a couple people heard him.

The guy in the first paragraph was told to serve a 1-game suspension (the minimum in the league for an ejection).

However, the guy in charge wanted the umpire in the second paragraph to serve a two-week suspension.

Yes, umpires are held to a higher standard than players, but it's crap like this that makes me not want to call in this municipality. When you have a guy at the helm who doesn't back you, you don't want to call there.

I've got about 20 other cases of this moron at the helm not backing us, but I'll spare everyone.

I would eject anyone who is deserving and not worry about what happens next.

If the same offender commits the same offense in my next game i would pitch him again. Ad infinitum. A'int my job to set league policy and I could never lose sleep over sending *******s to the parking lot.

As for the umpire who made a judgement on a situation he was not involved in, well, then, don't discuss it. Totally unprofessional.