View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

If you didn't see a tag, you don't have a tag unless persuasive evidence is available to the contrary. Asking your partner after the fact puts him in a difficult situation. What if he didn't see it either? (Because he was watching R3 or R2 or removing a bat from the home plate area.) What if he said, "I didn't see it"? You'd be stuck with your "wrong" safe call anyhow. By asking, "Did he tag him?" doesn't answer the question of "when did he tag him"? Your partner may have seen a tag alright, but it could have been after BR reached 1st. You already made the "safe" call; live with the hoots and hollars and get on with the game. Get in better position the next time.
Jerry
Excellent point, Jerry, and in the situation originally posed I would probably not have gone for help. The timing of the play at 1B is too close. It was stated F3 went up for the ball, not toward home plate. That means all action is extremely close to 1B, and the judgment of BR touching 1B before any tag could be sold by the BU if he wasn't certain of the tag. With the poor throw, benefit of doubt goes to the offense. Yet, if the timing of the swipe tag is such that you know the runner is out if the runner was tagged, then attempting to obtain that information is not wrong. However, consider the runner safe until proven out when a swipe tag occurs.

However, if the throw pulls F3 toward home (a frequent occurrence), the timing issue then becomes little factor. The existence of tag vs. no tag is the primary factor. As PU, I frequently have a far better angle on that play than BU starting in B or C---even if I have moved slightly up the line toward 3B for a potential play there. BU's poor angle is NOT due to his poor positioning or lack of hustle, it's due to problems inherent in the 2-man system. BU can't move beyond the back of the mound until he's certain the initial play will not go to 3B or even back to 2B. BU is responsible for first call in the infield, wherever it may be!!!

As stated, I believe PU should be watching for the foot and swipe tag at 1B. Aren't you watching that when moving up the 1B line when the play started with nobody on? Furthermore, I support my partner---I was taught the importance of that as a newbie. I am prepared to help in situations of difficulty---knowing the weaknesses of the 2-man system.

Sometimes supporting my partner may mean putting other responsibilities secondary, yet not ignored:
  • Seldom does the action at 1B occur at the same time as the touch of home plate or 3B. Far more instances of argument occur regarding the play at 1B vs. appeals of a missed bases at home or 3B. I go with the odds in supporting my partner---that's my choice.
  • As for covering a play at 3B, I can move slightly up the 3B line and still maintain angle to 1B that my partner is unable to achieve. I read IF the runner is moving to 3B and I read the quality of throw to 1B---of which both will provide indication of a potential play at 3B. A poor throw to 1B seldom results with a play being made to 3B. Still, I am able to see the play at 1B and still obtain adequate coverage for the call at 3B, although not optimum. I've never in 23 years had a complaint of not being in proper position to make the call at 3B when needed. Too often I've seen officials (typically newbies) hightail to 3B for a play that never occurs---abandoning the potential of providing any help to their partner if needed.
  • (Unrelated to play at 1B) I'll also support my partner in watching plays regarding difficult catch/no catch decisions should he look to me for help. IMO, it's more important to know whether the catch occurred than to watch for a missed base or one left slightly early if occurring simultaneously. That is not meant to imply that the watching of bases is totally ignored.
  • Supporting my partner in these ways has saved far more grief than it has ever caused.
    Bottom line being that if my partner needs help, he knows I'm there.

Additionally, I'll never request my partner to change his call at 1B unless I feel absolutely certain about the information he is asking of me that would result in the call being changed. If asked for information before he makes a call, I'll not consider F3 off the base unless certain he was off, and I'll never state I saw a tag unless certain it occurred. Still, once my partner has drawn me into his call, I expect him to accept that which I feel is appropriate. Don't call a partner into a judgment call that's not his and expect him to live with judgment he doesn't agree with. The purpose of going to your partner is to obtain help; the purpose is not to appease the complaining coach at the expense of your partner.

I'm becoming a believer that the best 2-man mechanic with R2 only is to allow BU to handle all potential plays at the bases, and for PU to stay at home and watch for added information at 1B. Although that mechanic is not advocated by the Fed, it is advocated by other sets of mechanics. That allows BU to know what PU is doing and to be able to expect assistance if he needs to go to PU before making a call. That is, BU would know that PU won't be running to 3B and not watching occurrences at 1B. If BU moves to allow a throwing lane to 1B, he can very adequately move to cover subsequent play at 2B or 3B.

Just my opinion,

Freix