View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 03:03pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertclasalle
This play occurred in a recent D-2 game (California, PA vs. Alaska-Anchorage), reported to me by a good friend and fellow official from western Pennsylvania. Arts was involved in a play during the first half that led to the scoring error. He made a 19-foot jumper from the right wing that was clearly signaled as a two-point basket by the officials. However, the official scorer, located on the opposite side of the court, credited Arts with a three-pointer, trimming Cal's lead to 18-16 with 6:22 remaining. The mistake wasn't brought to the attention of the official scorer until halftime and was deemed uncorrectable.

Is this different from signaling 3 for a known 2, or vice versa? Does this error have the typical timeframe associated with it? Rule 2-10-1-e and 2-10-2 and 2-10-3 limit the time to correct.

Is there a different rule here for NCAA men than NFHS?
Bookkeeping errors, as posted previously, can be corrected at any point until the officials leave the court at the end of the game.

I had this happen to me in a small college championship game. I was the scorer and A1 is shooting the second of two free throws. A1 makes but the officials appear to wave it off with a lane violation.

At some point later in the game, the officials come to me and explain that team A should have an additional point because Team B committed the lane violation, and not Team A (inadvertant whistle, apparently? ). It took me a couple of times talking this over with the official to realize what he was saying, but this is a good example of handling a bookkeeping error.

Of course, it would have been nice if they had come to the table immediately to make sure we had the call and score correct then, but at least we - the crew -- did get it right eventually.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball