View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to abergman Send a message via Yahoo to abergman
After reviewing what happened in my head many times I came up with the following conclusion on what I would do next time.

1. If I think there might have been a tag, I will go to my partner immediately if he is in a reasonable position to help and is a good partner.

2 In this situation I am glad I went to my partner after the play. There was 2 outs, and this was a force play and their was no continuing action. I have been umpiring for 8 years and this is the first time this has happened. I can usually see the tag, but this was just one of those times where I was clarly blocked and didn't think there was a tag, but after the entire dugout reacted, I went to the plate umpire right after my call. I didn't wait long. After the game, both coaches commended us on our teamwork and getting the call right. Which is the most important thing. My partner got the credit for the good call, but I'll have another day to show my stuff. I am my own worst critic.

Basically, I wish it didn't have to happen, and wished I went to the plate umpire first. But at the end, we got the call right and that is what is important.