View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 29, 2008, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
A perceived tie is always an out. The umpire will be watching the base to determine the time of touch by the runner, and listening for the ball hitting the glove to determine the time of catch by the fielder. Light travels much faster than sound, and will arrive at the umpire's eyes before the sound gets to his ears. Therefore, on a perceived tie, the catch occurred first.
You don't have to tell me that light is much faster that sound, I'm an engineer. Your statement doesn't answer the question. I didn't mention sight or sound. When you are 10 feet away looking at a play and can see the base touch and the catch by F3 with wind and noise, you can't perceive a time difference in your head of less than 1/100th of a second, which is about how fast sound will travel 10 feet, provided you are at sea level.

I asked you to fault my logic. It doesn't make any difference what you assume. If there is a "tie", similar to a "dead heat" in a horse race where they cannot determine a winner with available scientific technology, is my logic wrong? That's all I asked. You didn't address it. Obviously you want to justify your position. Fine.