View Single Post
Old Mon Jun 19, 2000, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

I hope this helps a little bit. I too am still learning A/D as this is only my second year of officiating basketball.

Fouls and violations should always be called if they effect the outcome of a play. Example: Player A2 and B2 are both going for a rebound with player B2 in front in proper box-out position. Player A2 clearly contacts player B2 from behind and (1)dislodges B2 and A2 gets the rebound, (2) causes B2 to stumble and the ball goes out of bounds or B2 travels (3) B2 gets the rebound but the foul breaks up a possible fast-break situation (4) B2 gets the rebound and quickly passes the ball to teammate B3 with no ill-effects from the bump.

In 1,2, and 3, I would call the foul. In 4, I would "let it go" and I don't think you will have many coaches complaining. (The fans may screem not totally understanding A/D.)

If we don't apply A/D then we are "over-officiating."

I once read on a now defunct website, "call the obvious, blow the whistle when a foul or violation causes an advantage or disadvantage to a player".

Like I said, I am still learning how to do this and it only gets bettr with practice.