View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Once you make the call, don't go to your partner! If you have the guts to make the call, have the guts to stay with it! If you need help from your partner, ask him before making your call!
I have a problem with this philosophy of not asking for help after making the call. I do not call baseball or softball, only basketball, football, and volleyball, so I will concede that you are the experts. But, it would seem to me that on a bang-bang play, you may make a call based on what you saw, but a louder than normal uproar from the bench or crowd may indicate something you missed, i.e., a missed tag. I don't see any reason not to ask for help here, nor do I see the validity of pausing before making many of these calls and having a conference with your partner. To me, this is similar to an out of bounds call in basketball that happens on my line, I blow it and signal based on what I saw. If there is an immediate uproar from the crowd and players alike (more than the usual whining), it can very well indicate I may have missed something and I will make eye contact with my partner asking him if he saw something I didn't. JMHO.