View Single Post
Old Wed Jul 03, 2002, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I agree with ALMOST everything Steve has said. Good insight. BUT . . . once you make that call of "safe", going to your partner to ask about a tag would, IN MY OPINION, be inappropriate. Reversing a call in the situation you described wouldn't be warranted. A call could be reversed if, for instance, you called an "out" but the ball was obviously laying on the ground or even out of play; that's a rule question as opposed to a judgement call. In your situation, you called him "safe" for a reason. If you didn't see a tag, you don't have a tag unless persuasive evidence is available to the contrary. Asking your partner after the fact puts him in a difficult situation. What if he didn't see it either? (Because he was watching R3 or R2 or removing a bat from the home plate area.) What if he said, "I didn't see it"? You'd be stuck with your "wrong" safe call anyhow. By asking, "Did he tag him?" doesn't answer the question of "when did he tag him"? Your partner may have seen a tag alright, but it could have been after BR reached 1st. You already made the "safe" call; live with the hoots and hollars and get on with the game. Get in better position the next time.
Jerry