View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hyboxer
Here is what happened at a 16 and under AAU tournament (HS rules): One out with runner on 3rd. Batter strikes out. Runner is advancing to home. Catcher gives the ball to plate ump, and the ump places ball in his bag. Umpire then removes ball and gives it back to catcher, pauses then calls "dead ball." Sends runner back to 3rd with two outs.
Did he get it right?
While I've seen answers potential to OBR, the game was played per Fed rule.
All of us know the umpire should not have accepted the live ball from the catcher. However, it occurred, so at this point I would have to apply judgment regarding the advance of R3.

IMO, the accepting of the ball is a decision by the umpire which causes the ball to become dead (per Fed rule). This decision may have put either the offense or the defense at a disadvantage. Fed rule 10-2-3L also allows PU to rectify any situation where on official's reversed decision puts a team at a disadvantage.

If R3, in the judgment of the umpires, would have scored safely despite the umpire accepting the live ball, then score the run. The catcher should have also known there were only 2 outs, and should have been making the play on R3.

If, in the judgment of the umpires, the runner would not have made it safely to score, then the officials should declare him out. This would be the least likely outcome of this play as the defense will receive little benefit of doubt regarding the action. I would only rule this if I were certain R3 was toast at the plate. F2 should have played on the advancing R3 rather than take action to allow the ball to become dead. If he felt the 3rd out had occurred, he may have just as likely rolled the ball toward the rubber after the strikeout.

If, in the judgment of the umpires, the runner broke to score only after the umpire accepted the ball, then the play is nullified by sending R3 back to 3B.

That is how I would rule per Fed rule.
The umpire put himself in this predicament by accepting the live ball, and it’s his job to make the ruling. In making the ruling here, it’s best to make the ruling as you can best support it by Fed rule. There is going to be a disgruntled team after the ruling of this play no matter what he rules, so he might as well get it right and take his lumps for his brain fart.

Just my opinion,

Freix