Thread: Here's an idea
View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool
Seeing this forum has gone to the "over the back" And "reach in" I just need some clarification. I am in my second year of officiating now and enjoying every minute of it. I had coached youth basketball for the last 20 years and was looking for a way to stay around the game. My concern is officials constantly on this forum make a joke of coaches and fans who use the above terms. In my coaching I would always use these terms because people are trying to rebound over the back of the person boxing them out making illegal contact. They also do reach in trying to steal the ball which is no foul unless illegal contact is made. Every fan in america also hollers out the same verbage in those situations. As an official now I understand these are called a push or hold etc. I think most officials understand what the coach is implying in these situations don't they? I was coaching in the Nike showcase in Chicago last year and I holler over the back when someone came from behind to gather a rebound in my opinion gaining an unfair advantage. The referee says to me their is no over the back foul with no further explanation. In my mind hearing this for the first time in 20 years of coaching think he of course is an idiot. I guess he needed to explain to an idiot coach it is a push. I guess I am just trying to give some input from the other side to put this in perspective. I guess even some officials give the sign indicating over the back to further confuse the average fan or coach. Just thought I would throw this out there to hopefully not take a beating but just to maybe give a different angle. Thanks
Usually, the use of these terms, "reach" and "over the back" come with common misconceptions. The people that use these terms are less likely to have an understanding of the rules and how they are interpreted; that's why it has become a pet peeve of many officials. I can't comment about the official at the Nike camp, as I was not there, but I know there is a tendancy among officials to dismiss comments that could be construed as showing a lack of understanding of the rules. But I would think if you would've said something along the lines of, "My player was pushed/displaced/contacted illegally", you might've gotten a better answer or reaction from that official, as you are then speaking in rule terms, not "fan-speak".

(Used with permission.)