View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
I have never paid more than a $150 to attend a HS only camp. And the camp where I paid $150, I was seen by multiple assignors for both college and high school leagues. And I was evaluated by D1 officials and I get another chance to work 3 Person and see more plays, very worth it to me. I make enough money during the season I have no problem investing in myself to see where I have come while officiating.

Most HS camps are in the $50 to $60 dollar range in my area. And you are paying for some extra power points in our over all playoff system.

Some people like going out to eat after every game. I use my money that I make during the season to attend camps and to pick up other officiating related expenses. Not a big deal as far as I am concerned.

Peace
Camps to me are the cost of doing business and the business happens to be officiating. Foremost, I enjoy camps, they act as a barometer to gauge my improvement. As you mentioned , and I think you're refering to the same camp, you have the opportunity to be seen by some of the best D1 guys around. How can you top that? You're also being seen by assignors and that leads to more and better games. I don't go to hear that I did a good job, I want the light bulb to go off, when an evaluator gives me a little nuance or philosophy that he uses. I have a favorite guy at the camp who never fails to give me an insight on how he manages a game. It's invaluable.

I just know every year I'm spending a few bucks on camps. One weekend during the season doing kids games more than pays the tab for two or three of them.

And to tag onto the discussion, I don't compare myself to other officials there, I only want to improve my game.