View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 25, 2008, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grogdog
Sorry, but I'm not trying to show anyone up. I've been to a meeting or two before as a coach so it's not a big deal for me to be there. The umpire asked me how many meetings I've been to so the least I can do is show up and discuss it if need be. This isn't the type of rule to keep secret since they'll keep calling it a balk unless they are informed it's not. I also don't plan on coaching this year due to work so no need to get an edge is there? Thanks to everyone for their input.

BTW, I have discussed it before a game too and the ump still said he'd balk the pitcher if he tried it. He even looked at the rulebook but it didn't matter. One ump said he'd balk him because he's trying to deceive the runner by pitching from the windup. So now pitching from the windup is illegal with runners on!!!?? We also did it with the UIC as our ump and he didn't call it. This was before the game where they balked it. We never did try it again but I wanted to, it's a great move but doesn't do any good if nobody knows it legal.
Keep doing it and keep protesting when the umpires get it wrong. Sooner or later the someone is going to wake up and either force Smitty to properly enforce the rules or get rid of him.

I have zero tolerance for umpires who refuse to learn the rules and even worse know it's wrong and keep making the same mistake on purpose. As an evaluator I have had to deal with a few like this over the years. They either get it together or get gone.