View Single Post
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKYFP FAN
Reffin Sgt,
You are correct! There are many examples of plays where a runner could impede or hinder a fielder but it would not be ruled interference.

R1 on 1st base, gets a good jump on the pitch and heads into 2nd base for a steal attempt, she makes a good clean legal slide and knocks the feet out from under F6 who is waiting for the throw. (a) F6 has the ball but drops it on the impact, (b) F6 never catches the ball because of the impact. In either case F6 was hindered from catching the ball however, there is no interference because this was a legal slide.
This is the equivalent to talking about bananas. I dont know of any rule set where this is INT.

Quote:
R1 on 2nd base, B2 hits line drive down 3rd base line and the ball rolls towrds DB area, R1 rounds 3rd and heads for home, F7 picks up ball and throws home, R1 is 3/4 way home when throw from F7 hits her in the back. F2 was impeded from catching the ball but, this is not interference because R1 did nothing illegal.
More bananas

Quote:
R1 on 1st base, B2 hits ground ball to F4 who is playing 2-3 steps behind the base path of R1, the ball takes a bad hop and hits off F4's shin and bounces forward into the path of R1, accidental contact is made between R1 and the ball, F4 can not now make a play. R1 impeded F4 from completing the play but, she did nothing illegal and interference should not be called.

The step and a reach rule protects the fielder from contact but it does not protect the ball.

There are many other examples that could be given but, that's enough to prove the point that interference is only called on an illegal act.

NKYFP FAN
I'm not sure what you interpret that to mean, and I'm tired of the bananas.

R1@2B - grounder to F6 R1 runs and accidentally contacts F6's glove as f6 is fielding it, causing F6 to miss the ball.

Interference or no?

If you got INT, we are on the same page. If you contend the runner did nothing illegal so it is not INT, you are wrong.