View Single Post
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

The Pickoff from the windup...revisited!

I ran into this situation last season.
Pickoffs from the windup?

I even got the ruling from our UIC prior to trying it. I waited about half the season to give it a try and I properly schooled some of our pitchers on the proper move required. The pitcher performed it flawlessly and had the runner on first out but the call was never made. The umpire quickly yelled balk and sent the runner to 2nd. I called time and asked why he balked him and he stated that he didn't disengage. I said he doesn't have to and he got a bit louder and said he does. After a bit of discussion I told him the UIC informed me it was legal. He said it's not. I asked again why he balked him and he said failure to disengage. I said, quietly, that I would like to protest and he said I couldn't because it's a judgment call and I stated, but you said he didn't disengage. He was starting to get louder so I walked off and protested anyway, noted by the Plate Umpire. Between innings we are talking and I showed him the email with the ruling from the UIC and he got pissed and yelled at me to get off the field. I was standing in front of our dugout and he came over to me. I went in the dugout and he came closer and yelled very loudly "how many umpire meetings have you been to?" I affectionately answered, "obviously more than you". The Plate Ump chuckled and said that's enough. I thought I was gone after that but I think the other ump saved me. I have never been tossed and I have never yelled at an ump. Anyway, the UIC (same one that approved it earlier) denied the protest because of failure to disengage and to my knowledge has never informed any of our umps that this is legal even though he knows it is. While most of our umps are younger the majority seem to have 5 years of experience or more. BTW we are LL Juniors. But not one person (that I know of) involved with this LL knows this move is legal. How in the world do you inform them it is? The rulebook doesn't say you have to disengage but they believe you do. Does the Evans Balk video cover this? I'd like to go to the Umpire meeting (again) and discuss this with some sort of visual evidence to support it. Any ideas?