View Single Post
Old Sun Jul 09, 2000, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Here's something I've done that has helped me with this:

I tape games off the TV(college, not NBA). This doesn't help at all in many situations since the camera focuses almost exclusively on the dribbler and whatever defense is on the dribbler. But that's great for studying travelling. I get to a place in the game where someone is called for travelling. I replay this segment over and over, and sort of memorize a rhythm, a feel, a look. I say words to myself like this, "step, gather, step hop" I say it over and over. The next game I work, I'll see three of these!

The other time I work on this is during warm-ups. There is one team in my area that always, always, always does the drive-lay-up sequence correctly. During their warm-ups I just open up all my pores and absorb the rhythm and the feel. Then I watch the other team. Most other teams aren't meticulous during warm-ups (which I think is a coaching mistake, but then nobody asked me!) They are usually not moving at high speed in warm-ups, so I can say my words, "hop, gather, step, step.." or whatever. It's usually clear which rhythms are okay and which aren't. I think this has given me a real feel for travelling on the drive-lay-up. I had one evaluator at camp last week commend my travelling calls. Coaches aren't quite so complimentary!!

[This message has been edited by rainmaker (edited July 09, 2000).]