View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 07, 2000, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

I just ref Rec stuff but I enjoy it. Here's the scoop. Get a NFHS Rulebook - they have a Web Site. Traveling is Rule 4-42. It's not easy. There's a ton to it.

In short, if you catch the ball or p/u your dribble with one foot "on" the floor or if you catch the ball or p/u your dribble and land on one foot - THEN - you can jump off that one foot and land on two feet, neither of which can be a pivot. You can then lift one or both feet but not return either to the floor without passing or shooting.

So when you see, Catch - Land On One - Jump Off One - Land on Two - Jump Off Two - Shoot. That's OK.

What you see a lot is, Catch - Land on Two - Jump Off Two - Land on Two - Jump Off Two - Shoot. That's a travel. And it's not always called right on the HS level.

Some players like Iverson do it so quick that even in slo-mo I can't see if they are making the first jump off one foot or two. I don't call a travel unless I can see it.

Another big travel is off drop steps. Typically you see, Catch in Air - Land on Two - Pick Up One - Step With One -Pick Up Two (OK UNTIL NOW) - Step with Two (Traveling) - Shoot. As soon as the second foot hits the floor the second time - traveling. I once watched a very very good coach teach this incorrectly to his kids. You gotta release before setting that second foot.

It's a complicated rule.