Thread: A
View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Appeal question

(sorry about the subject line, unthinking, I used "" in title)

After reading the book and also reading Jim Booth's interp on appeals (eteamz) also, I ask the following:

Minor LL tournament rules. R1 two outs. Popup near the plate and close to foul line. R1, fearing that F1/F2 will not make catch, takes 4 steps off toward second. F1 makes catch, runner goes to second (has not tagged). Pitcher throws to B1 in an obvious attempt to make a play on R1. BU makes no call. R1 thows back to mound and pitcher (in reponse to dugouts yelling) throws again to F3 who looks at BU, again no call. I can't tell if there is any conversation between F3 and BU (now in position B).

Time called by defense. Discussion at the plate. Ball is put back into play. Pitcher throws to F3, BU..."out!"

Now the question. Should the appeal stand? Seams that there was a "play" on R1 at B1 prior to the appeal. Would this negate the appeal? Is there any interpretation on when continusous play stops and a new "play" begins?

Before you flame on this, I could care less about the play since is happened three weeks ago. As third base coach I shook my head and ribbed R1 for running error (my son)as we jogged to the dugout. Just a thought about the appeal and what constitutes a "play" prior or multiple appeals.

Thanks
SG

[Edited by spillguy on Jul 1st, 2002 at 03:59 PM]