View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Men,

I am making up a series of quizzes on FED rules for a blog I am involved with for our local association.

I have a list of questions I am working from, but I thought I would open up the floor to others. I would like some questions which deal with concrete plays an umpire will see on the field, not some half-baked ruling on a rare play from a FED test or the Casebook.

I am looking for practical questions to raise the BB rules IQ of the average FED umpire.

Any quizzes or questions appreciated! And I thank you for your help!
Here are a few that have come up over the past couple of years for myself.

1) Batter hits sharp grounder to F5, F5 overthrows first base, B/R rounds first base and goes to 2nd. There is no throw to 2nd base, however, F3 comes to bag and applies fake tag forcing the runner into an un-necessary slide. Whats the ruling and where to put the Runner?

2) R2 and R1, less than two outs. IFF in effect. Batter hits sharp line drive to F3, who initially gloves the ball, then carefully guides the ball to the gound infront of them. Whats the ruling and place the runners?

3) No one on base, Batter hits deep fly ball to left center, B/R rounds first and collides with F3 who is oblivious to the B/R. B/R continues onto 2nd base where they is a close tag applied and the B/R is obviously put out. Whats the ruling and place the runners?

4) No one on base, Batter contacts the catchers glove on the swing and subsequently hits deep fly ball to left center, B/R rounds first and continues onto 2nd where they are put out in a close play. Whats the ruling and place the runners?

Hope these help in your endeavor.